Thursday, October 20, 2016

#poweredByindie With a little help from my writer friends

It's three years since I decided to put my novels and short stories online. When I did, there was lots of help forthcoming from writer friends, one in particular who was incredibly generous with her time, willingly sharing her know-how and posting invaluable links to relevant sites. Once the decision was made it was a great feeling. At last I was having a real say with regard to making my books available to the public and no longer needed to attract the attention of a publisher.

But having said that I knew very little about the whole process - merely that the right cover was essential if it was to stand out among so much online  competition.   Although I didn't know much I was enthusiastic and rearing to go.

So what about that all important book cover.

In  the past my publisher had asked me what kind of cover I thought would best suit my novel. I had a picture in my head for 'Like One of the Family' bearing in mind that the story started in Ireland and later moved to Spain. A balcony featured in my imaginings with masses of purple and yellow flowers cascading over the rail, a smiling dark-haired young man in shorts and a white shirt lounging in the background and a young woman with long blonde hair leaning on the rail and talking down to a child standing below who was holding up a kitten for her to admire.

What I got was very different but there was no denying my publisher's choice of cover was excellent and I wouldn't have changed Raoul Dufy's Le Chateau Dans Le Parc for anything. It was a beautiful cover for the paperback edition but I have to say that I love the new cover - my cover featuring a blonde girl reading on the beach with coloured air balloons floating above her in the sky - for the eBook version equally well, if not better, and I was only too delighted that I had such a big part in its creation, not forgetting all the help and expertise of a highly professional team.

Having commissioned eBookPartnership to format my books and produce covers to my specification and satisfaction their artist did a wonderful job and the completed work proved to be far beyond my expectations. I can just hear you say that I took the easy option and, in a way, I suppose you'd be right. But as far as I am aware, there's no hard and fast rule that you have to do all the spade work yourself. From my reading on the subject and chatting with author friends I knew how very important it was that the finished work be as perfect as you could possibly make it. Missing pages, clumsy formatting or chunks of badly aligned text would lose you  readers before you even got started.

Let me say I have nothing but admiration for those who succeeded in doing all the work on their own. All those who got to experience that heady well-earned moment of finally being able to click on Publish, their goal finally reached. Those intrepid indie authors deserve every bit of praise and awe that's going about. Who knows but maybe next time out I might be confident enough to try it myself.

 I like to think so anyway

All in the past now but glad to say that in a relatively short time I had four well produced books online with lovely covers all ready to go. I suppose that's when the work really begins -  trying to get readers to know about you and read your stuff and write those precious reviews which hopefully will encourage other readers to take the plunge .

With the help of KDP Selection this has to be my aim when I kick off my 90 day program next month with five days of free books. This will begin on a Thursday in November and finish the following Monday. As soon as the start date is confirmed I'll be sure and let you know. Look out for it! .


1 comment:

  1. Very interesting feature, Nesta. Lovely cover. Every success with your new venture.

    ReplyDelete